Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Office - Moscow version

I recently returned from a cold trip to Moscow. While there, I took the opportunity to walk around beautiful Red Square. There are many "picture worthy" views, including The Kremlin, the GUM department store, and my all time favorite view: St Basil's cathedral, with it's multicolored onion domes. But there was one picture I really wanted to share with you, that I call "The Office".

There are a number of vendors around selling snacks and souvenirs. In an effort to provide them with a place to go to the bathroom, city officials have installed several rows of port-a-potties. Makes sense, right?

Well, in the true spirit of entrepreneurship, one industrious lady has turned the last one on the left into her personal office. She installed a board across the sink for her desk, your typical office memos stuck to the wall, and (just to add a bit of personal charm), she has added a curtain and chair cover.

I tried to get close to take a picture without disturbing her, but apparently didn't hold the camera as still as I should have - resulting in the grainy image - but you get the point. I walked closer after I took the picture and she looked up from her newspaper, as if to say: "I'm on my break". Priceless!

The Office has arrived in Moscow!



2 comments:

Susan said...

Glad you're back in blogland!

The Ratpack said...

That is truly bizarre!! I would have loved to read what those post-its said. Probably something like "buy air fresheners" ?!