Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Notre Dame



Question:  Can you add something to your Bucket List after it's been made?  I don't know the official Bucket List Rules, but it seems a bit "after the fact" to update a Bucket List after it's been published.

As a true Irishman, I have always been a fan of Notre Dame, ever since I was young.  Growing up, going to a Catholic school in Detroit, we always rooted for Notre Dame (whether an Irish kid or not).  Of course going to see Notre Dame play was a high honor, especially at Notre Dame Stadium, with Touchdown Jesus looking down on the field (see upper right in the picture) below:

Well, last year, when Notre Dame played OU in Norman, I was there, along with son-in-law, Ryan, to witness my first ever Notre Dame game.  Well, Notre Dame won - even though I was pulling for my Sooners (the Luck of the Irish, right?)!  On that day, Notre Dame used a stifling defense to beat the my Sooners.
Well, good luck or not, Susan and I are heading to South Bend, Indiana in a couple of weeks for the OU - Notre Dame football game.  So I get to cross it off my Bucket List, as I attend a Fighting Irish game, against my Sooners, in Notre Dame Stadium - the home of Knute Rockne, Joe Montana, George (Win one for the Gipper) Gipp, and even Lou Holtz!  Maybe this year, it will be OU's tough defense that wins the day!

To finish, I have two random thoughts about Notre Dame:  Random thought #1:  
I have, on my staff, a young Aggie Petroleum Engineer, named Steven Young.  Well, I recently found out that Steven is related to Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, famous from the 1993 movie about his dream to play football for the Irish.  Even this morning, at my Spinning class, they were playing the movie, "Rudy" in the video exercise room.  Must be  a sign, right.

Random thought #2: 
At OU's first home game this year, I introduced myself to long-time OU Assistant Coach Merv Johnson.  Coach Johnson runs OU's walk-on program and does radio commentary for the Sooners.  As it turns out, before joining the Sooner staff, in 1979, Coach Johnson coached at Notre Dame, and (according to Wikipedia):
 "Merv Johnson was the coach who was instrumental in keeping Rudy on as a scout-team player"!  













I am really excited about our upcoming trip to Notre Dame!  Can you tell?

No comments: