Tuesday, June 25, 2013

33 and counting......


On my recent trip to Central America, a couple of people asked me;  “How many countries have you visited?”  I actually didn’t know the answer off the top of my head. 

 
My work has taken me to a number of places over the world, and my non-work trips have taken me to a few others.  So, on the way home from Nicaragua, I closed my eyes and counted countries by visualizing a world map.  I came up with 33 countries, counting the USA.  They are, grouped by region, as follows:

North & Central America (7):

  • USA
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Costa Rica
  • Nicaragua
  • The Bahamas
  • Cayman Islands

 
South America (3)
  •       Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Uruguay
Europe (10):
  • Ireland
  • England
  • Spain
  • France
  • Belgium
  • Netherlands
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Italy
  • Switzerland
Asia (6):
  • Russia
  • Azerbaijan (50 trips to Baku in 8 years!)
  • Georgia
  • China
  • Japan
  • Hong Kong
Middle East (3):
  • U.A.E.
  •      Turkey
  • Egypt
Africa (4):
  • Gabon
  • Angola
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Côte d'Ivoire

There are lots of places that I still want to go.  High on the list are Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Peru, Fiji, Portugal, Northern Ireland, Wales, & Scotland. 

In the immortal words of Robert Frost, I have:

"…miles to go, before I sleep.  Miles to go before I sleep……"

No comments: