Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Life in China

I just got back to my hotel at 8:15 PM. My head hurts from what I have had to drink tonight, all in a good cause...(I hope).

We have been meeting with our partners and the Chinese government to talk about expanding our operations here by adding one or two more platforms to our field. Each new platform will cost ~500 MM$, and with oil prices what they are it will be hard for us to approve. Part of what makes my job difficult is that I am not really worried about today's oil prices. Even if we were to approve the project today, it would be late 2012 before production begins. Consider that oil prices have gone from $80 a year ago, to a peak of $140/bo in July, and down to $40 today. With that in mind, try to predict what they will be in 2012! So after a successful presentation with the government today (it's a good sign that they came down from Beijing to see us, instead of us having to go to Beijing), I present to the partners tomorrow.

So, on to tonight's diner. It included:
* Some kind of soup, like won ton
* Then a plate full of raw fish. The salmon was good, the others, not so much
* Then the bad stuff... fish bladders (what fish use to stay buoyant)
* There were "chicken elbows", octopus, and a slimy white thing called sea cucumbers
* We then had goose claws (I swear I couldn't get any meat if I wanted to)
* Kale (actually not bad)
* It was all washed down with this clear vile concoction called Mou-tai, very potent
* At least desert was tame - watermelon slices and sweet tea.

I actually have become good at chopsticks, which works to my disadvantage here, because I have to eat more.....

Note to self: fumble with the chopstix

I better go to sleep. I have to do it again tomorrow with the partners! Just wanted you to know what I do for a living... Love to all, Chuck

No comments: